This is an old revision of the document!
SEP Seminar - Mitchell Building Rooom 372
Autumn 2021: Monday 12:15-1:45 pm
Forthcoming speakers list:
Min Jun Park:
Julio Oliva Frigerio:
Emeritus, consulting, and volunteer:
Speakers temporarily absent:
Speakers absent for a quarter or more:
<note tip> Use the template for the tables </note>
Seminar Length Policy
- Seminar will be 20 minutes long leaving 5 minutes for discussion. This is in order to have two speakers a day and to train students for SEG/EAGE conference presentations.
- Yet, the seminars are different from SEG/EAGE talks in that they are less complete and the discussion will typically start during the talk.
- It is good to ask questions before the end of the talk. But questions much be questions and not mini-talks.
- It is okay for the speaker to say: “Don't eat up my time”.
- The speaker will be prompted by the professor and/or by the audience after 15 minutes: “You have 5 more minutes”.
- Seminars that will run over time will be stopped after 25 minutes (including discussion) but will continue on Friday's spare slot. A seminar that will run over time will not push the following seminar to the spare slot, but will itself go there.
Friday Beer Club Philanthropy:
- $2 fine for student late arrivals. $10 fine for PhD late arrivals. (Doubled fine for speakers being late.)
- $10/$20 for student/PhD absences when spotted by two witnesses during an interval of 2 hours before or after seminar.
- $4 fine for seminar title not posted on TWIG. “Flash seminar” is NOT a title.
(Deadline usually on Friday the week prior.)
- $0.25 fine per non-labeled axis or missing title [*new*].
(Need to be spotted by public; only for prepared slides and figures.)
- $0 fine. If the speaker cannot present at the scheduled slot, he/she must find a substitute. The next speaker down the list is the default substitute, but he/she should be notified at least a couple days in advance.
- $2 fine per telephone call (except urgent call) during the seminar.[*new*]
- $2 fine per personal device (include but not limited to computer, ipad, tablet, smart phone) generated sound (except for urgent call). [*new*]
Fines go to the Friday Beer Club treasury. All are invited to enjoy!