Table of Contents
This is an old revision of the document!
To add network printers, there are to alternative methods. Go to
System Preferences » Printer & Fax. You can find printers (such as gpcolor, sephp) in default printer list. For gp4hlj use the IP with Line Printer Daemon(LPD) protocol. To find out printer IPs, type
ping gp4thlj.stanford.edu in terminal.
- GP4THLJ: HP LaserJet 2300dn
- GPCOLOR: Xerox Phaser 8400
- Apple Xcode: This will facilitate the installation of many compilers and programming languages. It is highly recommended. Get it from here
- MacTex (An alternative to Tetex distribution): Get it from here
- Aquamacs (GUI Emacs editor): Get it from here
- Latexit: It allows typesetting Latex equations and use them in slides and elsewhere. Get it from here
- Fink Package Manager: Install Fink Binary Installer (Intel) and Fink commander (Fink GUI). From Fink Commander try to install following packages:
- After installing Fink, you need to enable the “use unstable packages” option from fink commander preferences. Then you need to run
fink selfupdatefrom Unix terminal. Then, try to install gcc packages. After that, try to run
fink selfupdateagain. After this step, you should be able to list most of common packages we need as scons, python sub-packages, and etc.
- gimp2 : GNU Image Manipulation Program
- tetex (macos bundle)
- tex-beamer (making slide presentations from Tex)
- Subversion: Subversion, also known as svn, is a version control system much like the Concurrent Versions System (CVS). Use Synaptic package manager to install it.
- Scons: SCons is a make replacement providing a range of enhanced features such as automated dependency generation and built in compilation cache support. Use Synaptic package manager to install it.
- Python sub-packages: If you are using python you might find the following list of packages useful.
- ipython: Enhanced interactive Python shell.
- numpy : Numerical Python adds a fast array facility to the Python language.
- scipy : Scientific tools for Python.
- matplotlib : pure Python plotting library designed to bring publication quality plotting to Python.
- TextWrangler TextWrangler is the powerful general purpose text editor, and Unix and server administrator’s tool. Get it from here
- Quick Silver (Quick access to everything on your mac): Get it from here
- Eclipse (IDE): Eclipse is a powerful programming environment which suitable for different programming languages. Get it from here
- Adobe Acrobate Reader
- Sun Java: Install sun-java.
- Adobe Flash Player: The first time you visit a website which includes flash contents you will be asked by firefox to install flash plugin. The Adobe Flash plugin suggested by firefox should resolve the issue.