Table of Contents
This is an old revision of the document!
Right click on top of Applications menu and activate Other » Screens and Graphics if it is not. You can also access this from terminal by running
gksu displayconfig-gtk. Set type and resolution of primary and secondary screens and then logout to allow setting to be applied. If you have nVidia or ATI graphic cards, you may find This guide helpful in this process.
To add network printers, there are to alternative methods. Go to
System Menu » Administration » Printing. You can add printers (such as gp4thlj, sephp) by entering their IP and following the steps. To find out printer IPs, type
ping gp4thlj.stanford.edu and
ping sephp.stanford.edu. The second method is to activate shared printers on the network and copy the ones you want to use.
- GP4THLJ: HP LaserJet 2300dn
- GPCOLOR: Xerox Phaser 8400
- Ekee: Ekee is a free latex equation editor which is useful for putting equation in presentation files. You can download the debian package from Ekee website.
- Subversion: Subversion, also known as svn, is a version control system much like the Concurrent Versions System (CVS). Use Synaptic package manager to install it.
- Scons: SCons is a make replacement providing a range of enhanced features such as automated dependency generation and built in compilation cache support. Use Synaptic package manager to install it.
- rpm: Red Hat package manager which might be useful. Use Synaptic package manager to install it.
- Python sub-packages: If you are using python you might find the following list of packages useful. All of them can be easily installed using synaptic package manager of Ubuntu.
- ipython: Enhanced interactive Python shell.
- numpy : Numerical Python adds a fast array facility to the Python language.
- scipy : Scientific tools for Python.
- matplotlib : pure Python plotting library designed to bring publication quality plotting to Python.
- Adobe Acrobate Reader:Download Debian Package from Adobe website and install it using rpm package installer provided by Ubuntu. You can also install it using Synaptic package manager (look for adobereader)
- Sun Java:Install sun-java using synaptic package manager. You may need to run
update-alternatives –config javain terminal to configure java plugin for firefox browser (Read more in Ubuntu help community).
- Adobe Flash Player:The first time you visit a website which includes flash contents you will be asked by firefox to install flash plugin. The Adobe Flash plugin suggested by firefox should resolve the issue.